St George’s, Reynoldston, SA3 1AA
The dedication to St George is a reminder of the Anglo/Norman influence in this part of Gower: the figure of St George slaying the dragon is carved in relief on the stone pulpit. A church has stood on this site since the early 13th century. The present building dates from the mid-1860s, and is a fine example of Victorian Gothic architecture. There is a wealth of stained glass, including the three-light west window designed by Nathaniel Westlake in 1905. The transept contains many tombstones and memorial plaques from the old church, mostly to members of the Lucas family. Standing near the chancel arch is a pillar cross, one of the earliest Christian monuments in Gower, being probably 9th century. The Norman font is carved from a single block of stalagmite.
Church open daily in August: telephone 391436, 390180,
For a more detailed history of this church, click HERE