St Iltyd’s, Oxwich, SA3 1LS
The chancel of this church marks the original 6th century cell, and retains its Norman arch. The nave was later lengthened, probably at the same time as the tower was added, in the 14th century. The east window and the figures of a knight and his lady in a niche in the north wall are from the same period. Legend suggests that St Illtyd himself brought the Sutton Stone font to Oxwich. The decoration of the chancel was instigated by Leslie Young, artistic director of Sadler’s Wells in 1931, who used to holiday nearby. For opening times in August see the notice board in the porch.
For a more detailed history of this church, click HERE