St Teilo’s, Bishopston, SA3 3JT
The site probably dates from 480AD as one of the earliest Christian settlements in Wales. Although physically in the diocese of St David’s the church was part of Llandaff diocese for over a thousand years, and sometimes fought over. It originates from the 12th and early 13th centuries, the battlement tower and battered (inclined) walls being the least altered. The west gallery still exists; the tower clock of 1886 originated in a Swansea brewery, and the bells are dated 1713 and 1714. The stone font is Norman. During repairs to the roof in 1927 the ceiling was removed revealing a fine 15th century oak hammer beam roof. Every stained glass window has interesting features: St Teilo’s stag is one, a mouse another. The Millennium window illustrates various places of worship in the village.
Key available from The Lamplighter bookshop, open 10am – 4pm, Mon – Sat.
Groups ring 01792 232012.