- Leaving the churchyard at Penmaen, turn right and cross the busy South Gower road (A4118) with care, and go straight across, following the narrow road ahead.
- Go left through the entrance to Three Cliffs Holiday Park and continue straight on, through a gate onto a wide track.
- Continue along the track, turning left at the junction at the bottom of the hill, signposted Parkmill.
- Just before reaching the main road, there is a stone across the track. Follow the path to the right, signposted Southgate.
- Take the bridge over the stream, go up the steps, turning left at the top. Ignore the footbridge on the left leading to Parkmill and Shepherds Stores. (There is a café here, if you need refreshment.) Mount Pisgah Chapel, which includes a Tourist Information Centre, can also be seen across the road.
- Continue along the path running parallel with the main road until you reach a minor road (Sandy Lane) near the junction with the main road.
- Cross Sandy Lane, then take the footbridge to the left over the stream to the main road.
- Cross the main road, with care, and follow the road to the right for around 30 yards to a gateway on the left, leading to Ilston Valley.
- Follow the footpath up through the valley, passing the ruins of Ilston Baptist Church on the right. This was the earliest recorded Baptist Church in Wales, and has an interesting history going back to 1649.
- Continue on the footpath, crossing 7 footbridges in total, until you reach the churchyard of Ilston Church. (NB Ignore a marked footpath to the left over a footbridge, which leads to the village of Lunnon.)
If you are continuing on further on the Pilgrimage Way, please ignore the following request but if this is where you are finishing your pilgrimage, we would be extremely grateful if you would complete a very short survey (2 minutes) by clicking HERE.